top of page

Deferred Action for Childhood Arrival

On June 15, 2012, the Secretary of Homeland Security announced that certain people who came to the U.S. as children and meet several key guidelines may request consideration of deferred action for a period of two years, subject to renewal, and would then be eligible for work authorization. Deferred action is a discretionary determination to defer removal action of an individual as an act of prosecutorial discretion.     


Although this announcement does not create a path to legal permanent residency or citizenship, it does authorize a person to remain in the U.S. Once a person obtains a work permit, he or she can also apply for a social security number. In turn, with a work permit and social security number in hand, a person can apply for a drivers license.

Please contact us to find out if you are eligible to renew or apply for the first time for this program.

You may request consideration of deferred action for childhood arrivals

if you:

  • Came to the U.S. before reaching age 16;

  • Were under 31 years as of June 15, 2012;

  • Have continuously resided in the U.S. since June 15, 2007, up to present;

  • Were physically present in the U.S. on June 15, 2012, and when applying;

  • Entered without inspection before June 15, 2012, or your lawful immigration status expired as of June 15, 2012;

  • Are currently in school, graduated from high school, obtained a GED certificate, or are an honorably discharged veteran of the U.S. Coast Guard or Armed Forces;

  • and have not been convicted of a felony, a "significant misdemeanor," multiple misdemeanors, or poses a threat to national security.

Because supporting documentation is key to a successful Deferred Action application, it is important to know what documents will satisfy the evidentiary requirements. Please contact us to assist you in submitting your Deferred Action application.
bottom of page